Sunday, March 11, 2012

Book Review: The Dust of 100 Dogs

The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King (5/5 stars)

"In the late seventeenth century, famed teenage pirate Emer Morrisey was on the cusp of escaping the pirate life with her one true love and unfathomable riches when she was slain and cursed with "the dust of one hundred dogs," dooming her to one hundred lives as a dog before returning to a human body-with her memories intact.

Now she's a contemporary American teenager and all she needs is a shovel and a ride to Jamaica."

-summary taken from goodreads-

My Thoughts:

At first I didn't really feel myself getting into the story at all, but after the start of Emer's life, I couldn't stop. Good thing I was sick, so I finished it in almost two days.

The story starts almost plain, even though the first chapter pretty much represents one of the most dramatic parts in the whole book, I couldn't get into it that fast. I liked Emer's reincarnation, but I think a seventeenth century girl's mind in a twentieth century girl's body is just wrong. First off, Emer was way too smart for my liking and of course for the people in the 80's (I think it was) she either seemed a genius or just silly. Other than that, she was way too perfect in her mind. I hate characters that think the others are nothing compared to them, especially because maybe they went through a terrible incident and that makes then super people.

The other main character, Jake I think his name was, annoyed the hell out of me. Ok, I understand he was somehow a big part in the story, but he was just useless, and I just hate the way King wrote him. She just added a useless, super gross character to the story so she could end it "well".

Getting to that, the ending was ridiculous. At first I though I didn't have a complete copy of something, because it just ended, right there. I don't even understand why you'd actually try to build up a superb plot only to end it like that.

A lot of you may ask if I'm so repulsed by the book why am I giving it five stars. Well that's because I loved it. Even though it has huge flaws, I loved every minute of it. I guess all those flaws is what makes a excellent book, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment