Sunday, April 8, 2012

Book Review: Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer (5/5 stars)

"Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future."

-summary taken from goodreads-


My Thoughts: 


Surprisingly, Cinder was a really good book. After I heard that it's a retelling of Cinderella, I though it was just another rip-off.. but it wasn't !

I really liked Cinder, and you know me, not liking heroines who do everything by themselves and all that, but I liked her. Plus, I never read a story where the main character is a Chinese cyborg. A few days before I read this book, I was talking to my dad about how easily the Chinese could buy the whole world in a blink of a minute, and reading how powerful the Chinese are even in a dystopian world, it really makes you think of what's around you.

The story was very well written, I can't wait to read more of her works. Though I wonder, could she have not written an equal great book, the same story and all that without mentioning it was a Cinderella retelling ? Because I for instance except for the big ball (and the little detail I'm not going to mention) did not feel the retelling. It was just a good story, well written.. and ok, the name's alike. But I mean it, and I plan on talking about this in a separate post.

Overall I loved this book, I devoured it in a day (or less, I think), and as soon as I was finished I searched for the release date for Scarlett. 2013.. you've got to be joking.

I'm sorry my reviews are getting shorter, I just didn't feel like talking a lot about this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment