Saturday, February 4, 2012

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (5/5 stars)

"Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.
Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.
Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind."


-summary taken from goodreads-


My Thoughts:

This is the first John Green book I've ever read. I'm not proud, actually I'm feeling a little ashamed because I've read this one first. I think I should have read his early works first, or read his books in chronological order because that way I could've seen him develop his writing. However, I'm sure his other books are just as great and I didn't miss anything, but more on that later.

Usually I don't read books I know I'm gonna cry to, but this one just got me so curious I couldn't ignore it anymore. From the very first page, I couldn't stop reading (I think it took me almost 8-9 hours to finish it). The story, as simple as it looks, is actually very complex to me. Every little detail is crafted in a particular way, every little thing in this book was written to the last detail. 

My favourite character from this book is Augustus. I know Hazel is the main character, and I should like her better, because it's her life, her life-changing decisions, but actually I've felt more drawn to Augustus than to Hazel. He has that thing that makes you like him even if he were a jerk. I also like the fact that he doesn't change much through the story, because he's the one who changes people, and I always like that in characters, because that means they've always known what they wanted from life, and they were on the right track from the whole beginning. That doesn't make any sense, but you'll see it eventually. 

Hazel was ok, I guess. I didn't like her as much as I thought I did in the beginning of the book. She's that type of girl that just knows everything and should be allowed to do anything, especially because of her condition. Also, there's a part in the book that made me.. don't like her at all, but only in that part, but I'm not going to say which part because that would ruin the fun for you guys.

Anyway, I've liked this book a lot, apart from that, it made me cry like a baby. It's a sad story, but it deserves to be read.

No comments:

Post a Comment